Monday, June 1, 2009

Manufacturer's coupons

Manufacturer's coupons are broken down into sub-categories.

Newspaper inserts (Sunday Supplements)
• SS (Smart Source inserts)- weekly on Sundays
• RP (Red Plum inserts, also called valassis)- weekly on Sundays
• P&G Saver (Proctor & Gamble Saver inserts)- usually only 1 time per month on a Sunday, but there are occasional times when there are more inserts than normally scheduled. To see the insert schedule for Sunday Supplement coupons, go Here.
These coupons have varying expiration dates, anywhere from 1 month to 4 or 5 months out.


IP (Internet Printable) coupon

These are FREE coupons that are printable from the internet. Here are a few of the sites that I like to use:
  • Some coupons can be printed directly from the manufacturers’ websites. Just google the manufacturer's name, go to the company website, and print whatever they have to offer.
  • This site has a database of printable coupons in their search engine. Internet Printable coupons usually expire pretty quickly, in about a month or so. Occasionally I have found one that expires in a few months (3 or 4).

Snail Mail coupons (Via Online Resources)
You will be required to pay these sites to search for, clip, and send you coupons via snail mail. They are usually very reasonably priced. I have purchased several times from The Coupon Clippers and Ebay and have been very happy with the results.

The Coupon Clippers
Coupons n things by Dede
The Coupon Master
Cents Off
Ebay
*Just a quick note about Ebay. Don't get stuck in a bidding war with someone. Decide ahead of time the maximum amount that you would pay for that many coupons and write that in the maximum bid line. If you don't do this, you may end up paying more for the coupons than they're worth. People often forget to include the shipping cost in their estimate, and believe it or not, it's easy to get stuck in a bidding war when you keep reminding yourself that it's just 50 cents more than your last bid. Ok, I'll admit it.... it's happened to me.

Because these are coupons that were in a Sunday insert somewhere else in the country, they usually have expirations similiar to your normal Sunday insert coupons (around a couple of months).


Snail Mail Coupons (direct from manufacturers)
I recently called Playtex directly and asked if they had any coupons that they would be willing to send me so that I could try out some sippy cups for my 6 month old son. Voila! They sent me (2) $3.00 off any feeding product coupons (this includes cups). I have even heard of people getting coupons for free products, just for calling a manufacturer directly and asking or complimenting them, or even sharing a negative experience. And the bonus of these coupons is that the expiration dates are usually a long way off, sometimes up to 1 year. I got a coupon for Colgate toothpaste that doesn't expire until January of 2010, that's over 6 months. Manufacturers LOVE being contacted directly by phone or email regarding their products, and they'll usually reward you if you do. Try it! You'll be amazed at the results! I have put a list of Manufacturer's contact information Here.

Tear pads
These are coupons that are located on the store shelf. You have to tear them off of a pad containing copies of the same coupon. Hence the term "tear pad." (go figure!) These usually expire within a month or so.

Blinkies

No, these are NOT glitter graphics for your MySpace page. These are coupons that are also located on the store shelf. You know the coupons that spit out of the machine with the little blinking light when you walk by? That's them. These usually have an expiration date within a few months.

Peelies
Sounds gross right? I promise it's not. These are the coupons that are located directly on the product itself. They usually have wording on them like, "Save Now". Don't forget to peel them off of the product when you hand your coupons to the cashier. I normally peel them off before I head to the check stand and put them with my other coupons so that I don't forget them. These usually have an extended expiration date, sometimes up to 1 year, because the manufacturer doesn't know how long the product will be on the shelf before being purchased.

Catalina’s
(called Cats for short)
These are coupons that print out at the cash register with your receipt (also called Off Your Next Order-coupons). Typically, these are triggered by the purchase of certain products. I just got a Cat coupon for $2 off my next purchase because I bought 4 Kraft BBQ sauces in one transaction at a store that contracted with Kraft for this promotion. The coupon says, "$2 off your next purchase, compliments of Kraft foods, thank you." I was pretty happy considering I only spend 56 cents on all 4 sauces. That's a total profit of $1.44. Kraft paid me $1.44 to take home their BBQ sauce! Gotta love THAT!



Now that I've introduced you to the smorgasbord of Manufacturer's coupon options, it's time to start collecting. I'll go over why it's important to gather and organize your coupons in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment