Monday, June 1, 2009

Storing and organizing coupons

Now that you've begun collecting coupons, the next step is to organize them so that you can find them easily to match them with sales in the ads, or when you see a good sale when you're shopping in the store.

The following are just some of the methods that can be used:

The Box Method:
This method includes sorting coupons in a small box. Coupons can be sorted alphabetically by product name (Kelloggs, Quaker, etc.), alphabetically by item type (cereal, milk, toilet paper), or alphabetical by category (beverages, dairy, produce).

Advantages:
  • Easy clipping
  • Fast sorting
Disadvantages:
  • Small children find it easy to mess with the box
  • If the box gets dropped, it's all over! (pun intended)
  • Cannot be sorted by category
Expandable File Method
This method can be used to file coupons either alphabetically or by category.

Advantages:
  • If you don't have a lot of coupons, the file is portable.
Disadvantages:
  • Limited capacity, and if you drop it in the store, you are going to have coupons scattered all over the place. NOT FUN! I know from experience.
The Envelope Method:
This method involves filing your coupons in envelopes and carrying them with you. You can either file them by category (baby/kids, canned items, dairy) or by store (Target, Walmart, grocery).

Advantages:
  • No limit of categories like in the expandable file method
  • Don't have to carry all envelopes if you know which store or category you will need
Disadvantages:
  • Hard to carry and store multiple envelopes when making large shopping trips
  • Easy for children to get into and dump
The Binder Method:
With this method, you place your coupons in plastic baseball card sheets and store the sheets in a 3 ring binder. You can file your coupons alphabetically by product name, alphabetically by category, or any other method that you see fit.

Advantages:
  • Lots of storage
  • Easy to see coupons
  • You can file them however it works best for you
Disadvantages:
  • You have to take all coupons with you to the store
  • Can take longer to file the coupons
*I find this to be the method that works the best for me. These are pictures of my coupon binder.

I purchased it at Target. It is a Case It brand binder, and has an adjustable strap on it which makes it easy to carry into the store. I love it! I also have envelopes stored in the front pocket with store names on them. That way I can pull coupons from the binder and place them in the envelopes so I don't forget to use them at the store. I do this ahead of time if I know of a deal that I want to take advantage of at a specific store, or if I see a really good deal while I'm shopping, I just pull the coupon out of the baseball card sleeve and put it in the corresponding store's envelope. I also carry a calculator, a pen, my price sheet (I'll explain this later), and a small notebook for making notes about upcoming advertised deals, or just to jot little notes about products and prices.

There is no right method to organize your coupons. Find the method that suits you, your family's needs, and your schedule the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment